- B.S., Aerospace Engineering, 1969, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- M.S., Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, 1970, Stanford University
- Ph.D., Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, 1973, Stanford University
Dr. Hodges became Professor of Aerospace Engineering at Georgia Tech in 1986. From 1970–1986 he was a research scientist at the U.S. Army Aeroflightdynamics Directorate, located at Ames Research Center. During those years he also served as a Lecturer at Stanford University and in 1984 was a guest research scientist at the DLR in Braunschweig, Germany. Dr. Hodges has published five books and over 330 technical papers in journals and conference proceedings in the fields of rotorcraft dynamics, structural dynamics, aeroelasticity, structural mechanics and stability, computational mechanics, and optimal control. He has advised 33 PhD graduates and 39 MS graduates in his 29 years at Georgia Tech. He is an elected Fellow of four societies: The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, The American Helicopter Society, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and The American Academy of Mechanics. He serves on the editorial boards for the Journal of Fluids and Structures, the Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures, and Nonlinear Dynamics. He has served on the AHS Dynamics Committee and the AIAA Structural Dynamics Technical Committee, as chairman of the Stability Committee of the ASCE Engineering Mechanics Division, as an Associate Editor of AIAA Journal, of Vertica, and of the ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, and on the Editorial Boards of the International Journal of Solids and Structures and the International Journal for Engineering Analysis and Design.
Theoretical, applied, and computational mechanics with focus on:
- Rotorcraft dynamics
- Structural mechanics and structural dynamics (including FEM)
- Classical and multibody dynamics
- Computational optimal control
Honors and Distinctions
- Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Fellow of the American Helicopter Society (AHS)
- Fellow of the American Academy of Mechanics (AAM)
- Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- NASA Technology Utilization Awards (2 times)
- U.S. Army Commendations (6 times)
- U.S. Army Research and Development Achievement Award, 1979
- Director’s Award for Technological Achievement, 1984
- Sigma Xi Thesis Advisor Awards (1990, 1995, 2003)
- Sigma Xi Sustained Research Award, 2011
- AIAA Ashley Award for Aeroelasticity, 2013
- AHS Alexander Nikolsky Honorary Lectureship, 2014
- ASME Spirit of St. Louis Medal, 2015
- Hodges, Dewey H.; and Pierce, G. Alvin: An Introduction to Structural Dynamics and Aeroelasticity, Cambridge University Press, New York, 2011, Second Edition.
- Simitses, George J.; and Hodges, Dewey H.: Fundamentals of Structural Stability, Elsevier, New York, 2006.
- Hodges, Dewey H.: Nonlinear Composite Beam Theory, AIAA, Washington, D.C., 2006.
Recent Journal Articles
- Sotoudeh, Zahra; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Structural Dynamics Analysis of Rotating Blades Using Fully Intrinsic Equations – Part I: Formulation and Verification of Single-Load-Path Configuration,” Journal of the American Helicopter Society, vol. 58, no. 3, 2013, article 032003.
- Sotoudeh, Zahra; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Structural Dynamics Analysis of Rotating Blades Using Fully Intrinsic Equations – Part II: Dual-Load-Path Configurations,” Journal of the American Helicopter Society, vol. 58, no. 3, 2013, article 032004.
- Mardanpour, Pezhman; Hodges, Dewey H.; Neuhart, Ryan; and Graybeal, Nathan: “Effect of Engine Placement on Aeroelastic Trim and Stability of Flying-Wing Aircraft,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 50, no. 6, 2013, pp. 1716 – 1725.
- Lee, Chang-Yong; Yu, Wenbin; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Refined Modeling of Composite Plates with In-Plane Heterogeneity,” Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik, http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/zamm.201200209, vol. 94, no. 1-2, 2014, pp. 85 – 100.
- Mardanpour, Pezhman; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Passive Morphing of Flying Wing Aircraft: Z-Shaped Configuration,” Journal of Fluids and Structures, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2013.09.020, vol. 44, 2014, pp. 17 – 30.
- Mardanpour, Pezhman; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Nonlinear Aeroelasticity of High-Aspect-Ratio Wings Excited by Time-Dependent Thrust,” Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 75, no. 3, 2014, pp. 475 – 500.
- Rajagopal, Anurag; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Asymptotic Approach to Oblique Cross-Sectional Analysis of Beams,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 81, no. 1, Mar. 2014, article 031015, http://dx.doi:10.1115/1.4025412.