- B.S., Aerospace Engineering, 1969, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- M.S., Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, 1970, Stanford University
- Ph.D., Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, 1973, Stanford University
Dr. Hodges became Professor of Aerospace Engineering at Georgia Tech in 1986. From 1970–1986 he was a research scientist at the U.S. Army Aeroflightdynamics Directorate, located at Ames Research Center. During those years he also served as a Lecturer at Stanford University and in 1984 was a guest research scientist at the DLR in Braunschweig, Germany. Dr. Hodges has published five books and over 330 technical papers in journals and conference proceedings in the fields of rotorcraft dynamics, structural dynamics, aeroelasticity, structural mechanics and stability, computational mechanics, and optimal control. He has advised 34 PhD graduates and 39 MS graduates in his 31 years at Georgia Tech. He is an elected Fellow of four societies: The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, The American Helicopter Society, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and The American Academy of Mechanics. He serves on the editorial boards for the Journal of Fluids and Structures, the Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures, and Nonlinear Dynamics. He has served on the AHS Dynamics Committee and the AIAA Structural Dynamics Technical Committee, as chairman of the Stability Committee of the ASCE Engineering Mechanics Division, as an Associate Editor of AIAA Journal, of Vertica, and of the ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, and on the Editorial Boards of the International Journal of Solids and Structures and the International Journal for Engineering Analysis and Design.
Theoretical, applied, and computational mechanics with focus on:
- Rotorcraft dynamics
- Structural mechanics and structural dynamics (including FEM)
- Classical and multibody dynamics
- Computational optimal control
Honors and Distinctions
- Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Fellow of the American Helicopter Society (AHS)
- Fellow of the American Academy of Mechanics (AAM)
- Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- NASA Technology Utilization Awards (2 times)
- U.S. Army Commendations (6 times)
- U.S. Army Research and Development Achievement Award, 1979
- Director’s Award for Technological Achievement, 1984
- Sigma Xi Thesis Advisor Awards (1990, 1995, 2003)
- Sigma Xi Sustained Research Award, 2011
- AIAA Ashley Award for Aeroelasticity, 2013
- AHS Alexander Nikolsky Honorary Lectureship, 2014
- ASME Spirit of St. Louis Medal, 2015
- Roithmayr, Carlos M.; and Hodges, Dewey H.: Dynamics: Theory and Application of Kane’s Method, Cambridge University Press, New York, 2016.
- Hodges, Dewey H.; and Pierce, G. Alvin: An Introduction to Structural Dynamics and Aeroelasticity, Cambridge University Press, New York, 2011, Second Edition.
- Simitses, George J.; and Hodges, Dewey H.: Fundamentals of Structural Stability, Elsevier, New York, 2006.
- Hodges, Dewey H.: Nonlinear Composite Beam Theory, AIAA, Washington, D.C., 2006.
Recent Journal Articles
- Rajagopal, Anurag; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Asymptotic Approach to Oblique Cross-Sectional Analysis of Beams,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 81, no. 1, Mar. 2014, article 031015, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4025412.
- Mardanpour, Pezhman; Hodges, Dewey H.; and Rezvani, Reza: “Nonlinear Aeroelasticity of High-Aspect-Ratio Wings Excited by Time-Dependent Thrust,” Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 75, no. 3, 2014, pp. 475 – 500.
- Richards, P.W.; Griffith, D.T.; and Hodges, D.H.: “High-fidelity Modeling of Local Effects of Damage for Derated Offshore Wind Turbines,” Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 524, No. 1, June 2014, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/524/1/012036.
- Mardanpour, Pezhman; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “On the Importance of Nonlinear Aeroelasticity and Energy Efficiency in Design of Flying Wing Aircraft,” Advances in Aerospace Engineering, vol. 2015, 2015, Article ID 613962, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/613962.
- Hodges, Dewey H.: “Unified Approach for Accurate and Efficient Modeling of Composite Rotor Blade Dynamics,” Journal of the American Helicopter Society,” vol. 60, no. 1, 2015, article 01101, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.60.011001.
- Jiang, Fang; Yu, Wenbin; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Analytical Modeling of Trapeze and Poynting Effects of Initially Twisted Beams,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 82, no. 6, June 2015, article 061003, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4030362.
- Richards, Phillip W.; Griffith, D. Todd; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Smart Loads Management for Damaged Offshore Wind Turbine Blades: Economic Incentive and High Fidelity Damage Modeling,” Wind Engineering, vol. 39, no. 4, 2015, pp. 419 – 436, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1260/0309-524X.39.4.419.
- Lee, Chang-Yong; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Hybrid Transformation to a Generalized Reissner-Mindlin Theory for Composite Plates,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 82, no. 9, Sept. 2015, article 091005, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4030740.
- Rajagopal, Anurag; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Variational Asymptotic Analysis for Plates of Variable Thickness,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 75-76, pp. 81-87, 2015, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2015.08.002.
- Richards, Phillip W.; Yao, Yuan; Mardanpour, Pezhman; Herd, Robert A.; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Effect of Inertial and Constitutive Properties on Body-freedom Flutter of a Flying Wing,” Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 53, No. 3, May-June 2016, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.2514/1.C033435.
- Richards, Phillip W.; Griffith, D. Todd; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Damage tolerant design strategies for wind turbine blades,” Wind Energy, vol. 20, no. 1, 2017, pp. 159 – 170, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/we.1997.
- Kovvali, Ravi K.; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Variational Asymptotic Modeling of Cosserat Elastic Plates,” AIAA Journal, published online, Feb. 16, 2017. doi: http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/1.J055547.
- Harish, Ajay; Harursampath, Dineshkumar; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Model Reduction in Thin-Walled Open-Section Composite Beams Using Variational Asymptotic Method. Part I: Theory,” Thin-Walled Structures, vol. 117, 2017, pp. 356 – 366, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2017.03.018.
- Harish, Ajay; Harursampath, Dineshkumar; and Hodges, Dewey H.: “Model Reduction in Thin-Walled Open-Section Composite Beams Using Variational Asymptotic Method. Part II: Applications,” Thin-Walled Structures, vol. 117, 2017, pp. 367 – 377, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2017.03.021.